From high and dry to sweet and soggy – a new study from Kellogg’s Australia has shed light on some of the weird and wonderful ways Aussies like to eat their cereal.
The research shows that 87% of Aussies still prepare their morning bowl in a ‘traditional’ way by adding the cereal first, followed by the milk. However, there seems to be a rise of non-traditional ways that we now like to make our cereal.
- almost 10% like to pour the milk into the bowl first and then add the cereal after.
- 4% say they can only eat their cereal once the milk has been heated up.
- 35% say they like the milk to soften things up before they dig into their morning bowl.
- 2% of Aussies eat cereal dry with no milk or no liquid at all.
- 22% of Aussies opt to have their cereal outside of breakfast time, whether for lunch, as a mid-afternoon snack or even for dinner.
The type of milk we like to pair with our cereal is rapidly changing too, over 13% of Aussies opting for a plant-based milk such as almond or soy.
The research also looks at how much milk we’re adding to our morning bowls. It turns out over 2 million Aussies (8%), prefer to have their cereal swimming in milk; opting for a whopping 2 cups of milk or more. Some Aussies even like to get creative outside of the world of milk, with over 1.5 million (6%) opting to add yoghurt to their bowl.
The perfect bowl
While there is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way to make and eat your bowl of cereal, Kellogg’s has revealed the equation for the ‘perfect’ bowl of cereal:
30-50 grams of cereal of choice (ideally a high fibre option) + 125ml to 250ml of milk (half a cup to one cup) – pour in the cereal first, then the milk, to avoid any splashback. Add a serve of chopped fruit for an extra nutritional boost.
A Kellogg’s cereal expert said: “Cereal and milk is an iconic breakfast staple and heading into the start of a new year, it can be a great way to get our routines – and diets – back on track after the holiday season. Opting for a high fibre cereal such as Kellogg’s All-Bran or Sultana Bran is also a good way to start your day right.”