Product of the Year, the “world’s largest” consumer voted awards program, is currently searching for the 2023 product winners. To help narrow down the selection of entries, leading journalists and FMCG experts from around Australia have been carefully selected to join the Product of the Year jury panel to determine the entry criteria has been met and that products meet the standards set to qualify.
After a thorough selection process, the 2023 jury panel has officially been determined, consisting of food and beverage industry legends including:
- Kim Berry, Editor of Food & Drink Business
- Lindy Hughson, Publisher of Food & Drink Business and PKN Packaging News
- Kylie Rees, Digital Food Editor at The Australian Women’s Weekly
- Lorna Gloria, Editor in Chief of Retail World
- Alexandra Feiam, Editor of Power Retail
- Dean Blake, Features and Premium Editor of Inside FMCG
- Mel Nathan, Publishing Editor of Food Companion International.
Now in its 14th year in Australia, brands are being invited to enter their products into the Product of the Year Awards for 2023, that showcases innovation across a range of categories. The jury panel will then test each product and provide extensive feedback through the lens of consumer interest as well customer experience and innovation criteria.
“In Australia, the Product of the Year seal is backed by the votes of more than 5000 consumers and aims to provide a time and money-saving shortcut for shoppers, guiding them towards the very best new product innovations on shelves. After being tested by the panellists, consumers are then asked a range of questions about each product to discern the best in each category, before the research is analysed and complied by Nielson to reveal the winners.”
The six key innovation criteria, determined by research partner Nielsen, that entries will be judged on include:
- Relevance – Is the product fulfilling a need or addressing a problem?
- Uniqueness – Does is stand out and bring something new to the category?
- Excitement – How excited are they to use the product? Would they spread the word?
- Likeability – Does it deliver what you want?
- Distinctiveness – Does it add something new to its category?
- Innovation – Is it an innovative product?
Product of the Year Australia Managing Director Sarah Connelly says, “We’re thrilled to have such a diverse selection of industry experts helping us to provide feedback for the 2023 product entries. Having tried, written about and watched the growth and fall of numerous consumer trends and products over the past few years, it will be interesting to see how the panellists respond to the products in each category, and I look forward to seeing the insightful feedback they provide.”
Food & Drink Business Editor Kim Berry says “The food and beverage sector is one of the most dynamic, innovative, and fast-moving industries in Australia. Being on the 2023 panel for Product of the Year Australia is a wonderful way to celebrate the depth and breadth of our food and beverage manufacturers and brands.”
To enter into one of the coveted award categories, products must be launched between October 2020 and May 2022 and demonstrate innovation through their packaging, function or design. Product of the Year encourages small businesses and brand-new products to enter, as well as any well-established brands that have new, redesigned or adapted products.
Entries for the 2023 awards opened on 7 March 2022, and close on 31 May 2022.
To enter the awards, visit: productoftheyear.com.au.