SPAR Australia celebrated the past year’s hard work of retailers and suppliers at its 2016 Trade Show on the Gold Coast last week with bonuses presented, while a wildlife-conservation partnership was announced.
The event at the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre kicked off with a 1920s-themed welcome dinner, where SPAR Australia Managing Director Lou Jardin presented $284,108 in loyalty bonuses to the group’s retailers, bringing the total to $934,731 since the program was launched in 2013
SPAR Australia also unveiled a new corporate partnership with not-for-profit World Wildlife Sanctuaries (WWS), whose objectives are to conserve, propagate, protect and care for endangered and other wildlife and all forms of natural fauna.
As part of the partnership, branded stores will have the opportunity to become carbon neutral and WWS founder Peter Steele will attempt to become the oldest person to sail a yacht around the world alone, non-stop and unassisted, in a venture to be known as SPAR’s Sail 4 Wildlife.
The trade show last Friday and Saturday, with SPAR Australia’s key suppliers in attendance, featured a mix of exhibitors that ensured all retailers’ needs were met, including grocery, fresh and general-merchandise offerings and SPAR Plus services. Many of the exhibitors again wrote record sales at this event and hourly prize draws were held with retailers winning between $100 and $1,000 worth of stock.
The annual gala awards dinner attracted more than 300 retailers, suppliers, directors, staff and guests, celebrating the successes of SPAR Australia retailers over the past year. Guest speakers were Mr Jardin and retiring SPAR Australia Chair Miles Hedge.
In the fifth year of the redeveloped Retail Awards Program, retailers that excelled in their businesses were recognised. The winners were:
- SPAR Store of the Year 2016 – SPAR Maclean, NSW.
- SPAR Express Store of the Year 2016 – SPAR Express Terrigal, NSW.
- 5 STAR Store of the Year 2016 – 5 STAR Hughenden, Queensland.
- Affiliate Store of the Year 2016 – Lambton Grocer, NSW.
- Grocery Department of the Year 2016 – SPAR Sussex Inlet, NSW.
- Produce Department of the Year 2016 – SPAR Maclean.
- Meat Department of the Year 2016 – SPAR Molong, NSW.
- Deli Department of the Year 2016 – SPAR Maclean.
- Bakery Department of the Year 2016 – SPAR Molong.
- Dairy/Freezer Department of the Year 2016 – SPAR Macleay Island, Queensland.
- General Merchandise Department of the Year 2016 – 5 STAR Hughenden.
- Food To Go Department of the Year – SPAR Express Lynches Road, Armidale, NSW .
- Fresh Food Excellence Award 2016 – SPAR Molong.
- Brand Ambassador of the Year Award 2016 – SPAR Express Ngunnawal, ACT.
- Community Support Excellence Award 2016 – SPAR Express Lynches Road.
- Gold Star Tobacco Award 2016 – 5 STAR Coffs Harbour.
- Customer Service Excellence Award 2016 – 5 STAR Dunedoo, NSW.
- Store Investment Excellence Award 2016 – SPAR Express Kallangur, Queensland.
- Pride of Workmanship Award 2016 – Laura Dorge of SPAR Express Withcott, Queensland.
Two suppliers were recognised for their stands at the trade show:
- Small Supplier Stand 2016 – Baiada Poultry.
- Large Supplier Stand 2016 – Peters Ice Cream.